Xena10afterFIN site discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Main website?

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Main website? Empty Main website?

Post  Kris Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 pm

It has been brought to our attention lately that we need to become more organized with handling Xena10afterFIN. We have a large facebook following but our main site signup is a little slow. So lets discuss how we can handle this a little better.
Kris
Kris
Admin

http://x10afin.formyjob.net

Back to top Go down

Main website? Empty website

Post  XploZiV Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi there Smile

Yes! We need a good website!

Options :

1) A website can be in HTML or in Flash. Flash is the most beautiful kind of website, but also the most difficult one to make.

=> We can find someone who's willing to make one from scratch, or we can buy an already existing template and let it be customized. Making one from scratch will take the longest, buying one the shortest amount of time, but that will cost. A template is about $40-$50 to buy (I do have a little thing for the latter, even if we have to pay, you can look for a template that satisfies you, and it will be so much quicker, but that's my opinion, who knows there's someone out there who knows flash very well and has a great idea!)

So my suggestion here would be to use our most powerful medium we have, and that's our facebook channel, and launch a message asking who knows flash (or secondly HTML, but I would start with flash, looks so much more professional) and is willing to make or adapt a template.

2) The website has to be host somewhere. There are many cheap hostingsites on the net, so that shouldn't be much trouble. It would be nice if you find one that provides webhosting and a domainname registration.

3) I really think we should keep the website as simple as possible, yet professional looking enough. So not to much on it, but really the core of our message! A "what is it about' section, a News section, a Video section for youtube movies perhaps, and do we need anything more?
I don't know if we need members.... We HAVE our facebook page... A lot of compagnies have a website about them, and a find us on twitter/facebook page... Otherwise we have to convince all of them to register again on the site... I think that's a bit of lost time... As for the forum, we have fora enough + we can use the forum on the facebook page, which doesn't include extra registration for the members...

So what do you think? Let's start with a call out for a website developer? (or more, why not?).

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Main website? Empty Re: Main website?

Post  Ana™ Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Hey guys Smile

1) I totally agree, we should try really hard to find someone who knows Flash (or HTML) and will be willing to help.

2) I'm not sure I'm qualified enough to even recommend a hosting site but here's one I found http://www.popwebdesign.net/register_domain.html
Also, here's an interesting "how to" I found http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/startwebsite.shtml

3) It's ok that we keep the website relatively simple, but maybe adding a forum, possibly a chat-room too and other interactive things (eg. surveys, tests, flash games) would make the experience of participating in the campaign more enjoyable to people?
Ana™
Ana™
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:17 am

Hey Very Happy ,

1) Agreed, on finding someone with website and flash knowledge to create the site. I also agree that we should put a announcement up on facebook. There has to be someone out of all our friends that has some knowledge and is willing to help.

2) Thanks for the links Ana. The "how to" is really helpful.

3) I also think we should keep the site simple but a place for everyone to gather would be helpful. I'm actually torn between leaving all the social interactions on social networking sites or creating a separate forum. The current system with members signing up and the forum is a little hard to navigate then asking members to sign up again would be difficult. Maybe we should make a announcement on facebook and ask what everyone wants.

Then I think we should have two news sections. One related to whats going on at xena10afterfin and one related to what is actually being said and done about a actual Xena Movie. Kinda like this one on AUSXIP: http://ausxip.com/xena-movie/index.php
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 am

Agreed, the website can be expanded with features like a forum or surveys, but I wouldn't include it in the "first" version. If we can get a basic one online sooner, and then we update the site with those extra features, we will be up and running earlier.

So as for now, let us find someone who's prepared making one Wink

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Sounds good, lets get that announcement up =)

When we are transitioning the site I think we should keep the old one up as long as possible until the new one is ready for the switch. At least have the basic news and stuff like that up first like how Frederick mentioned. Just so we won't completely shut down the one we have now until we are ready for the new version.
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm

No we can't shut the current one down Smile That would sound like we're abandoning the whole idea Smile

I'm having difficulties too on where to gather all members...

I don't know... The less people have to do, the less they WILL do.. I'm not sure if everyone will actually merge successfully from facebook to wherever we want them to go... The hardcore onces will join without a problem, but a lot of them will feel like being up to it, but will be lazy and just stay where they are and look how things go from there...

So we should definitely keep the facebook group Smile Facebook is hot...

But for now, let us find someone who's willing to make the website Smile
If it's actually happening, I'll announce it on the current site, that a new one is in development Smile

How will we announce this? Should we just put a message on facebook?
I guess we can start there.. Who knows someone jumps on it Smile

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Agreed, the facebook page is actually the most popular right now and is really humming with activity. Does this sound good?
Something like this:

Xena10afterFIN is looking on updating the main site in the near future. Do any Xena fans have experience with web design? We are looking for someone that could help create a fresh new site that could help make the Xena Movie message more clear.

I think making a news update on the main site that a new one is in the works can be helpful too.
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ana™ Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Kris wrote:
Xena10afterFIN is looking on updating the main site in the near future. Do any Xena fans have experience with web design? We are looking for someone that could help create a fresh new site that could help make the Xena Movie message more clear.

Sounds great if you ask me Very Happy I also think we should post it a couple of times every day for the next couple of days (same as all of our other more important posts) because of the people who are in different time zones/don't log in as often.
Ana™
Ana™
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:00 am

Great text. Just don't forget adding we need someone who knows webdesign, preferably Flash

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 am

I'll add that and put it up on fb asap so we can get some responses going. I just added what Frederick mentioned.

New one:

Xena10afterFIN is looking on updating the main site in the near future. Do any Xena fans have experience with web design, preferably flash? We are looking for someone that could help create a fresh new site that could help make the Xena Movie message more clear.
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:29 am

I've noticed the reply on facebook about Flash not being good for search engines, and it seems to be correct. I didn't know that! Perhaps we should use HTML for our website, and we can always add a Flash intro movie to it...

Seems we've learned something about Flash Wink

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 pm

To be prepared there is a real possibility that no one wants to make the effort creating a website,I'm busy doing some research too...

i've seen something quite interesting on webs.com, and perhaps when i'm convinced it could be nice, I'll present it to you..

It could mean we don't have to create a new site at all, and we could stay where we are, just an entirely new look and feel.

Naturally I would have to make myself premium, but buying a new template and registering for a domainname and webhosting will ultimately cost the same. Ok perhaps a bit less, but we have to look at the whole package...

But when I have news I'll put it here,a dn then you can give your opinions too Smile

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Ok, I want to see how easy or difficult this could be Smile

I've made you both administrator on the current site. That means, when you login, you can normally change the layout of the pages too...

Could you verify if you can change the website's template too? If so, there are a lot of templates there. If you see one template, you can hover over it, then the site changes as a preview, and a small button on the template "see more" appears. When you click on that, you can even see other colors for the templates.

Perhaps there is a template you find professional looking?
The premium templates are the ones you can only apply when you have a paid account..

Why am I saying this? because there is a website that has a lot of CSS custom codes for the webs.com templates.
I know some bits and pieces from HTML and CSS, and you can modify the look and feel for some stuff, and imho, I believe we can find some template there that looks better without the need of someone new that will create a website from scratch. Ok, we can, and if you want an absolutely stunning website, webs.com won't do the trick, but creating a website from scratch takes a LOT of time.

If agreed, we can change it instantly, we can put a new text on the homepage, and make ourselves premium, which includes a domainname..

perhaps this could turn out to be easy...

But please, take your time, doesn't have to be a quicky, and don't feel like we MUST do this, it's just an idea!

PS : don't publish the template, as your site will change Wink just choose cancel.

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:56 pm

It looks like you have to become a member on webs and make sure it's the same email that you used to register to Xena10afterfin to edit the site. Took me awhile to get that lol. I looked at the premium templates but it doesn't look like they have much to choose from.

I was also reading the responses on fb and we got some useful information but it does look like there is a possibility that we might not get someone that has the time to help. Getting a domain name and just changing the text will help a lot. Like you said this doesn't have to all happen at once, we can work on updates in pieces. What premium service were you thinking of getting? Enhanced or Pro? I'm still willing to help pay for some.

Then lets start thinking about what your going to do with the text. I still think we should put some main points and flesh it out a little. So lets start brainstorming the points we want to get across. Here's some that I had wrote before but I was wondering if anyone has anymore they would like to add or put in some that is in the original one we have now.

• Get Universals attention to ease up on the rights
  • Get Universals attention to put more money into a Xena project so Rob could create the quality of work he had wanted
  • Band together the fan base to make this happen
  • Show that there is still a willing fan base that does want this to happen

Any more ideas or editing on mine?
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi guys,

I've made ourselves a premium account. I've changed the template too, and modified the layout with the customization tags. Looks rather nice now.

If you think another template is fine, be my guest, but I liked this one. Seems sober and professional. I'll modify it a bit further later.

We do need a new header. I've also placed a quick text on the home page, as the old one really didn't fit the new style Smile But we can change or update it any time!

http://www.xena10afterfin.com is registered, but it can take a while before it's adapted.

I'll explain all later, but I must go now, very busy Smile !!

If this is OK, we can focus on our campaign.

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ana™ Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:30 pm

WOW that's brilliant, can't believe how much of a progress has been made in one single day Smile

I think the template looks pretty good as it is, the whole website, including the text on the main page, seems a lot more professional now and the new domain started working as well - it's really great Very Happy

One of us should probably post an update on TX and XOC.

Last edited by Ana™ on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Ana™
Ana™
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:48 am

Hi guys,

we're up to 40 members now lol Smile i'm working on a system to post site updates directly to facebook and twitter. That should draw more visitors to the site.

I'm also getting the advice from 2 people who have studied tv & film here in Belgium. They know a bit how movie studios work, especially on the financial side, so that knowledge can become handy when writing to NBC Universal.

About the upgrade of the site to a premium account,

I have paid :

Package: Enhanced
Payment Type: YEARLY
Purchase Total: $99.95

and for the domain name :

Item: xena10afterfin.com Domain Registration for 1 Year, Privacy Protection
Cost: $42.94
Discount: -$29.95
Purchase Total: $12.99

That's a total of $112.94.

It's inevidable I was going to make some costs for this campaign. You can't expand enough without a decent package.

I was hoping I could recover or share some of those costs.. I know it's not always nice when you have to pay for a thing, but for this cause I was willing to do so Smile

I know Kris wanted to return some of the costs, I don't know about Ana? I don't think I can ask the fans yet. These are just basic stuff you have to create. If we immediately start asking for donations, a lot of fans will back off. I don't want that.

The account for the website has to be stopped manually before next year, April, and the domain name will automatically stop within a year.

I'm also looking into the use of banners, of which you get paid per click. That could recover some costs too!

Cheers!
Frederik

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Wow, everything looks really great. We just need a new header and are we going to put the join button back on the front page as well?

I did some math and between the two of us it would be $56.47 each. I'm not sure if Ana wants to pitch in but for three of us it would be $37.65 rounded up. I'm willing to put in the the $56.47 if Ana can't afford to do so right now tho. If we get some of those paid per click banners do we have to initially pay to use those too? Also do we have to pay the same amount yearly to renew everything?
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ana™ Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 pm

I'd like to recover the cost of the domain registration (12,99$), will do it before the end of the month if that's ok with you, you just have to let me know a way in which I can do it considering that I'm located in Serbia Smile

I'm very sorry that I'm not able to offer to repay you more but I'm kind of struggling with money so unfortunately that's all I can afford right now, which is the main reason for why I was hoping we'll be able to find someone who'll make the website for free and cheaper webhosting...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got in touch with people who will be able to help when it comes to the communication with Universal and Kris, great work on the fb account with posting updates and everything else - all campaign related things seem to be going really great at the moment don't they Very Happy
Ana™
Ana™
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 am

Ana, I'm already pleased you are willing to share some of the costs with us Smile

What do you guys need of me in order to do the necessary?

About the ads : there are 2 types of Ads :

Google Adsense, which is free. You place some code on your page, and when people click on it, you earn money.

Google Adwords : create your own add, which will be shown on Adsense or Google. You have to pay for it, every time someone clicks on it. How much you pay, and how many times you renew your ad, is up to you. I have a $50 coupon from webs.com I have to use.

So I'll try out both I guess Smile

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Thank you Ana for sharing the costs and thanks Frederick for setting all of this up. Since we live far away the hard part would be getting all of the costs over to Frederick. I was thinking of using paypal:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/send_money

Do both of you guys have a paypal account?

I think both adds sound good. Go for it and lets see how far that coupon will for Google adwords.
Kris
Kris
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 am

I have paypal yes. Never used it though to get money...

You only need my paypal mailaddress?

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ana™ Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:23 am

Thank you so much for being so considerate both of you, I deeply appreciate it.

I wasn't able to open a Paypal account because Serbia is not one of the countries they cover, but I did manage to open one on http://www.moneybookers.com/

I have absolutely no experience with transferring money so I hope things will work out - please do correct me if I'm wrong, as I understood I should:
1) upload the money (think I can do it either from my cellphone or by opening a bank account)
2) send it, for which I will need Frederik's email address

I'm kind of confused about the currency I should use: I'd like to upload 1000RSD, which equals 10 euros or 13 dollars - if I upload them from my cellphone in RSD (Serbian dinars), will I later be able to send them as euros or dollars, or just RSD, and would recieving them as one of those 3 be ok with you Frederik?
Ana™
Ana™
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  XploZiV Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

Hi,

the address I use to login on paypal is magic.forever@telenet.be

I have absolutely no idea what will happen with the currency.. I'm guessing paypal will automatically change it..

Perhaps Kris knows this?

XploZiV
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum